Thursday, May 30, 2013

Something In the Water....

Infused water is big now.  I've been seeing it all over the blogs and internet lately.  I actually started making it a few months ago at the suggestion of my cousin and not from anything I was reading about.



I'm going through a 2-quarter pitcher a day.  I make it late morning and leave it on the kitchen counter, just adding ice when needed.  By leaving the pitcher out in full sight, it reminds me every time I go by to refill my cup.  

Each day is a little different, depending on what I have in stock. This was yesterday's water:  orange and lemon wedges (rind removed), cucumber, strawberries, and a spring of rosemary.  

I've also been using A LOT of fresh mint, and I've been using blueberries or watermelon too.

Here's A GREAT post about tips for drinking enough water, published today on one of MY FAVORITE SITES:

http://www.skinnykitchen.com/recipes/23-tips-for-drinking-more-water-each-day/

The benefits of drinking water, of course, are huge.  For me, I feel so much better when I'm getting all my water in.  Here are some benefits listed on WebMD:


"1. Drinking Water Helps Maintain the Balance of Body Fluids. Your body is composed of about 60% water. The functions of these bodily fluids include digestion, absorption, circulation, creation of saliva, transportation of nutrients, and maintenance of body temperature."
"2. Water Can Help Control Calories. For years, dieters have been drinking lots of water as a weight loss strategy. While water doesn't have any magical effect on weight loss, substituting it for higher calorie beverages can certainly help. "
"3. Water Helps Energize Muscles. Cells that don't maintain their balance of fluids and electrolytes shrivel, which can result in muscle fatigue.  Drinking enough fluids is important when exercising."
"4. Water Helps Keep Skin Looking Good. Your skin contains plenty of water, and functions as a protective barrier to prevent excess fluid loss."
"5. Water Helps Your Kidneys. Body fluids transport waste products in and out of cells."
"When you're getting enough fluids, urine flows freely, is light in color and free of odor. When your body is not getting enough fluids, urine concentration, color, and odor increases because the kidneys trap extra fluid for bodily functions."
"6. Water Helps Maintain Normal Bowel Function. Adequate hydration keeps things flowing along your gastrointestinal tract and prevents constipation. When you don't get enough fluid, the colon pulls water from stools to maintain hydration -- and the result is constipation."



No comments:

Post a Comment