Sunday, February 7, 2010

Big Snow - Big Slip

So what is it about snow that makes me want to eat? Why do I turn to "comfort food" and too much of it when the weather gets nasty AND when I'm not feeling well? I'm disappointed in my behavior yesterday, although I have put it behind me and am going to move on today.

Friday/Saturday brought us about 16 inches of snow at our house and it's like something clicked in my head and said COMFORT FOOD, EAT, EAT, EAT. I couldn't get enough. I was okay for breakfast, the usual eggbeater & turkey sausage on a sandwich thin, but found myself nibbling before lunch. For lunch, I reheated leftover chili with a slice of Weight Watchers cheese and some low-fat crackers, still okay, but then found myself craving something sweet. Grabbed a Smart Ones chocolate eclair and ate the whole thing in record time.

Decided on making a spinach lasagna for dinner with homemade marinara sauce. That's where the big mistake was. Got it all cooked and put together before I went out to start shoveling. Of course, since I'm still fighting a terrible cold, I found it necessary to have a little glass of brandy before I went out to shovel "just to keep the chest warm", then another when I was done.

Dinner was ready by the time I was showered and dressed after shoveling. I made a big salad, and dished up a piece of the lasagna, a slice of bread and my salad....oh, and let's not forget the big glass of red wine. The lasagna really wasn't that great....but that didn't stop me from going back for another half-slice AND another slice of bread.

Was I done there? Oh, no. The container of Edy's low-fat moose tracks ice cream was calling my name and, of course, I answered. That was it though. I called it quits after that, but a major food fest for sure.

Like I said, I'm moving on. Would love to put the skates on and skate today, but not sure if I should. Still have a good cough going from this cold but other than that, feel so much better and JUST WANT TO MOVE! I'll see what happens in the next couple hours. Might need to take the day off from skating and maybe get back to that sewing project I've been trying to finish since Christmas.

So what have I learned from yesterday's food fest? I guess I should NOT make lasagna unless it's a family party, because now I have the rest of the pan to deal with. And I'm sure I can make comfort food that's also Weight Watcher friendly. Really need to get my hands on the new cookbook, "Slow Cook It", but it's not available through our franchise so I will need to get it off eBay.

3 comments:

  1. No worries, Reen! It's one day, right and a completely understandable response to this crazy weather!

    I've been having some good success with Danica's crockpot recipes. She is a WW, too and often includes the values with her recipes. Check her out at www.danicasdaily.com

    Have a good day, Reen! Oh and you scared me when I saw Big Slip in your title! I thought you might have fallen and I was worried about your foot!!! Whew!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Marisa. You're right, one day. Today started to go that way too but got myself out of the house for a while and I think I may have saved it.

    I'm hearing we might have another big snow this week. Oy!

    I will definitely check out Danica's recipes. Thanks for the heads up!

    I was looking for a title for my blog that was kind of a play on words. :) Sorry if I scared ya!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The slow cooker cookbook is amazing! I have made 3 dishes so far and my family does not realize they are points friendly.

    ReplyDelete