Wow, so I can't believe it's been almost a week already since my last post. What a busy week!
Well, first of all, I did have a good weigh in last week, took off 1.5. That's good, moving in the right direction. I'm on a mission to get these "extra pounds" off and get back to where I was.
I skated three times since my last post. So some good activity points, which is needed, because the beginning of the week, I found myself still wanting to each more than I should, using more of my weekly points than I usually would.
AND HERE'S THE BIG NEWS! Today I got out for my first run. Yep, less than three months since the date of my surgery and I am back. I've been tossing around the idea of running for the past few weeks, but was really kind of afraid. But since getting all this skating in, I kind of felt like maybe it was time. When I saw last night that the temperature was going to be mid-40's today, that was it, I decided to give it a shot.
I decided I would gear up and just see if I could do a mile without pain. I headed to the park and was so excited to get started! Now, although the park has their trails marked, and this particular trail is marked as 1 mile per lap around the loop, I don't think it's a true mile. Still, wanted to just get around the loop once. I walked halfway around first, just to get warmed up, then stretched a bit, and off I went. Wow, felt great. Breathing was a little rough, but made it around the loop.....the first time, and felt pretty good so I kept going and did another lap! So two laps, and I timed it at 18 minutes. That's the other reason why I know it's not a true mile, because no way I'm running a 9 minute mile, not before or after surgery!!!
I feel great. No increase in pain. Still a little swelling and tenderness, but really, I'm good. Muscles in the tops of my legs are a little sore tonight though. :)
Of course, probably won't be running again this week, because temperature is going back down, but it's a start. I guess I could get out and run if I dress a little warmer. At least now I know that I have the option of running again. I am so motivated now. Running is what helped me at the end to get to goal AND has been a miracle cure for anxiety and stress.
So, yep, I'M BACK! Now I can start thinking about that next 5K and/or 10K!
Thursday, January 21, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Whooo hoooo, Reen! That is great, great news! So happy for you :D
ReplyDeleteThanks, Marisa! So excited! Turns out it was warm enough today that I probably could have run again today, but I don't want to push it, plus all the Friday afternoon errands, office, bank, four stores for shopping, and bank!
ReplyDelete