Thursday, January 7, 2010

I Feel Good....

I feel good! Yes, I'm singing that tune this morning. I feel really great today. In such a good mood!

So I tried to stick to the plan yesterday. Did I track my points? YES! Did I drink lots of water? YES! Did I get on the elliptical? Well, actually, not, I didn't, but I did something much better!!!! Ready for this? I GOT BACK ON SKATES!!!!! Yes, I did. I know, I know, the doctor told me almost a month ago that it would be one to two months. It would have been a month this coming Saturday. First I had decided that I was just going to the rink to visit friends. Then I thought, well, you know, I'll bring my skate bag and leave it in the car. If it's not too crowded, I'll bring them in and just put them on, just to get the wheels under my feet. Yeah, right.

Once I got there, I decided the heck with it, just bring the skates in and try it for a few minutes. I figured that's how I'd start, in little bits. So I did. I put the skates on. Thought it would hurt putting my foot in the boot, but not really. One little tender spot but for the most part, they were fine. Then I stood up. Whoa, talk about the shakes! Boy, those muscles really are weak! I was shaking like a leaf.

So then it's out on the floor. Slow and steady, just get moving, just to get the feel of it. Okay. So that wasn't bad. It really wasn't, although like I said, the legs were definitely weak. But I did it. I skated for a bit, then sat for a while, skated a little bit and sat for a while. The more I did it, the better I started to feel. By the end of the session, I was feeling great, but had to come off the floor a few times when one of my favorite tunes was on because it was too tempting to start racing and shuffling around that floor at my usual speed.

Then when I took the skates off, I thought oh, boy, here we go, get ready for a really swollen foot...but no, it wasn't! In fact, the swelling seems to have gone down. Does that seem strange? Could it be that the skating actually helped the swelling? Hmmmm.

When I went to bed last night, I took a Motrin, figuring I was going to get up this morning and really be feeling it. I got up this morning and it feels pretty good, a little stiff, but not bad at all!

So now I know that slowly, I am coming back. I still don't think that running is an option for at least another month, and that's definitely going to be baby steps to get back to it, but I am so motivated now!

4 comments:

  1. Good for you. What a great--read FUN--way to get in your activity points. You're on your way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Arlene. Yes, it is a GREAT way to get my activity points in! I skated as a kid and teenager ALL THE TIME. Then I put on a lot more weight (I was already chunky as a kid) and life happened and that was the end of skating. I went back to skating almost a year ago (and also started running) and that's really the key that helped me get to goal.

    P.S. I printed you recipe earlier for the unstuffed cabbage! I make stuffed cabbage occasionally, but your recipe looks so good and SO EASY! Can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay Reen! That is such great news! Sometimes, you gotta go with your gut and listen to your body instead of what the doctors say.

    I agree with you on the running- might be a bit too much right now. But skating seems to be the ticket for you, mentally and physically! Go girlie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. After a long time away, just popped in to say "Hi"! Glad you are still going strong.

    ReplyDelete