Sunday, March 15, 2009

Roasted Pork Loin and Root Veggies

I've been wanting to post this weekend but was just not sure what to write about. But after dinner was done, I knew just was I wanted to post about.

This was tonight's dinner, and it came out so pretty and tasted so yummy that I had to share.

I found the recipe online and just tweaked it a bit for my liking. Heat the oven to 350 degrees. I started with a half pork loin, seasoned (use whatever you like). Put a little olive oil in a pan and then sear the pork on all sides. Meanwhile, I cut up the following veggies: rutabaga, beets, onion, parsnip, and a fennel bulb (stems removed). Toss that in a roasting pan, add about a teaspoon of crushed garlic, salt, pepper, and about two tablespoons of minced fresh rosemary. I added about a tablespoon of olive oil and tossed that all together. Then pushed all the veggies to the outside of of the pan to make room for the pork roast. Place the pork roast in the middle. Now, the pan that I had browned the pork in had some nice browned "goodies" of meat and juice in the bottom of the pan so I deglazed the pan with about a half cup of red wine let it bubble for a few minutes, scraping all the "goodies" off the bottom of the pan, and then poured that juice right over the top of the pork and veggies. Put the whole thing in the oven. Mine cooked for a good 2 hours.

After two hours, I removed the pork and veggies to a platter and covered it with foil. In the meantime, I put the roasting pan on the top of the stove, added a few cups of water and a package of fat-free gravy mix and made a nice gravy from the "goodies" in the roasting pan.

It turned out really beautiful and so yummy. Far as I'm concerned, there is no better way to cook root vegetables than roasting them. I counted the veggies as 1 point per cup (WW) and the pork came out to be 4 ounces for 3 points after looking at the nutritional information that was on outside of pork roast).

1 comment:

  1. I know that I have not been on the WW boards lately but I wanted to sop by and say HI! Keep up the good work and yes that dinner does look lovely.

    ReplyDelete