So many of you know, it's been a struggle for me lately to get back to a full running schedule. I haven't been running since about July when I was sidelined due to "foot issues". Turned out about a month ago I was given the go ahead by the doctor and was informed that it was not so much the foot that was the problem, but that I had a herniated disk. Medication has helped, and so I started running again, short duration. Then THE KNEE INJURY. I felt at the skating rink and landed right down on my knee. Pretty bad crash that has, again, kept me out of the running arena.
Well, yesterday I returned to the gym took it light, 10 minutes cardio bike, 10 minutes walking, 10 minutes elliptical, just to see how the knee felt. It felt great!
So today I went back to the gym and decided I wanted to "test it" a bit more. I know that a lot of you out there do intervals when running, running for a certain period of time, then walking for a shorter time. So I flipped it. I warmed up first on the cardio bike, stretched a little, then got on the treadmill. I decided on 3.5/1.5. I walked for 3.5 minutes, then ran for 1.5 minutes, repeat. I did that four times, then finished with another 3.5 walk.
It feels pretty good. Going to ice the knee down now for about 10 minutes and see how it feels tonight. I'm hopeful that I can continue that interval a few more times this week, then rest for a few days, then next week, if all goes well, I'll bump it up to 3.0/2.0.
So what do you think? Looking for some feedback, guys.
What's cookin today? Well, I pulled out a container of chili from the freezer...and a tiny container of leftover pumpkin, mixed them together and warmed up a sandwich thin with light margarine. Yum! Two crockpots going now, one with turkey vegetable barley soup and one with barley bean soup. Basically, it's a free-for-all, throwing anything I have into two crockpots. That turkey made a HUGE amount of broth. I still had enough broth leftover to freeze a nice size container for a few weeks from now. Sure got our money out of that bird!
Free 7 Day Healthy Meal Plan (Sept 14-20)
4 days ago
Sounds like a good plan to me. As long as your knee holds up, I would keep the increase until you are full time.
ReplyDeleteYou know I'm all about the intervals!!! It's been the BEST thing for my hip/IT band! And I realize that there is NO SHAME in doing some walking. You would be surprised how many people I saw taking short walking breaks during the 10K and half marathon in AC!
ReplyDelete