Wednesday, February 24, 2010

On the Move and Moving On

So today makes two in a row, two days that I stopped moaning and groaning about the weather and just threw those running shoes on and got out and ran.

For those of you who might be new to my blog, almost a year ago, I started running FOR THE FIRST TIME IN MY LIFE. Yes, I ran if I had to like in school, but never ever had the desire to actually run for exercise. So anyway, last year, I started one day, inspired by The Biggest Loser Show, and challenged myself to run a mile. That was it. I was so proud of myself for completing that mile, although I could hardly breath when I was done, that I kept going. Every time, I just increased my distance a little bit. With the running came one very important thing for me. I finally, after many years of struggling with my weight, found the key to getting to goal...yep, running. I got to my Weight Watchers goal in June and have kept it off.

I kept running all summer long. It helped me in so many ways. I found that it was the greatest stress reliever ever and was the best way to deal with some anxiety issues I was having. I found that if I went out and ran, it was "me" time, and I was able to think things through with no distractions, and most of all, I was SO PROUD of myself.

I had set a little goal for myself with no real time limit, but that "some day" I wanted to run a 5K. Well, I sure didn't think I would do it so quickly. On October 21st, I ran my first 5K. It was 42 degrees that day, pouring ran and windy, but I refused to give up. I ran. It was the greatest feeling. I also got third place of women in my age group (although it was awful weather and there weren't that many running, but I'm still proud of it!).

Anyway, three weeks later, unfortunately, the running had to stop. I had to have surgery on my foot/ankle, not related to the running by the way, but related to my other new activity, roller skating. I have just recently found that the foot feels well enough to run, but the weather has been awful here on the east coast. I got out for a "test run" a few weeks ago, just one mile, and it felt pretty good. Unfortunately, due to the weather, snow, ice, cold that was it...until yesterday when I finally decided enough of this, JUST DO IT!!!

So yesterday I ran, 1.6 miles. Now, that's not very far compared to the 4 mile runs I was doing on a regular basis, but a start. Today I decided that even though I have WAY TOO MUCH WORK to do, since I was feeling stressed AND we've got another storm on the way, the best thing to do was to get out again. I ran 2.13 miles today!!!

I've been using mapmyrun.com to figure out the distance. Today I actually decided to start a training log. Who would have thought that I would ever be so hooked on running. Certainly not me!!!!! LOVE IT!

4 comments:

  1. I'm impressed. I exercise but running is something I only do if I am being chased by a man with a gun! Wish I were more like you! Go, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job, Reen!

    Can you believe we are getting MORE SNOW?!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I know, more snow....AND I heard something about possibility for AGAIN next week more snow! That's why I got out and ran while I could. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's amazing - so glad you are feeling good enough to run again.

    ReplyDelete