Far as I'm concerned, without the scale, I'm blind as a bat, as they say. It all revolves around the scale for me. Always has. Always about that number.
I am one of those Weight Watchers members who, although told not to do so, monitored that number during the week to see how I was doing. If I had a bad week and was going to see a bad number at my meeting, I wanted to at least be a little prepared ahead of time.
As I posted a few weeks ago, I have had the same scale for 20-some years. It was "old faithful", but in the last few years, wasn't so faithful anymore. We decided it was time to put her to rest and buy a new fancy "digital scale". We purchased one that we saw on sale, one with some extra bells and whistles, monitors body fat, etc. We came home, and immediately threw the old scale out. At first, the new digital seemed great, although was not 100% accurate. Over the next few weeks, we realized it was not accurate at all, to the point where you could get on the scale, get off, get right back on, and there would be a difference of 5 pounds in a matter of seconds or an ERROR message!
So all week, I have been without a scale at all, no way to monitor how I was doing. On top of that, I was sick for a week with a terrible cold and really didn't track my points much at all. I ate what helped the cold, chili, chicken soup and crackers, chicken casserole, pasta and clam sauce, basically, whatever I wanted, AND of course, sipped on blackberry brandy (medicinal purposes). However, what I did do was NOT OVER INDULGE, tried to pay attention to the signals of when my belly was satisfied instead of my brain.
With no scale at home, I had no way to check "the number" before this morning's meeting. My only way of knowing whether I was doing okay or not was how my clothes fit. The past few days, I started pulling jeans out of the closet to see which ones fit and which ones were "a little snug". Surprisingly, it didn't seem too bad. Still, I considered skipping weigh-in until I had a new scale.
This morning, I got up and decided that was a crazy idea! I needed to know. I was going to bite the bullet and get to a meeting so I could see just how bad my week had been.
Surprising, I actually did well! The number went down, not up!
So now I wonder, should I replace the scale? Should I try to turn over another new leaf, try something different, and gain more confidence in what I'm doing instead of relying on the number?
Well, the answer is I'm going to give it another week and see how happens. I still want a new scale, but think maybe I'll set a date a few weeks out go give myself a chance to learn to live without it.
Free 7 Day Healthy Meal Plan (Sept 14-20)
4 days ago

Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog. Like you, I am always surprised at how different my weight can be from one day to the next. I think relying on a number can sometimes be misleading. The old "clothes trick" is better - if it's snug, cut back.
ReplyDelete