Tuesday, February 14, 2012

My Valentine's Day Half-Marathon

FIRST OF ALL, HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY!


What a great day it's been.

Not much work to do today. Since we couldn't get our long run in on Sunday because of the weather, I decided to take the morning off and get that run in. Only this time, I was doing it alone since Aimee, my running partner was working all day.

I figured I'd try to get in about 10 miles. Turned out that by the time I got to my turnaround point, the run would be a total of 11 miles by the time I got home. Then the thought started crossing my mind, well, you know, if you can do 11, you can do 13.1. YOU CAN do 2 more miles! Just do it!

I ran 8/1 intervals, stopped once for a potty break, and stopped once at the deli to refill my water bottles, and the decision was made. I was going to run a Valentine's Day Half-Marathon!


AND I did it. It felt awesome. I have always, always run distance with my running partner, not alone. So this was a great accomplishment for me to run an entire half-marathon with nobody with me, just me and my thoughts and my tunes.

AND I finished 18 seconds faster than our Atlantic City Half-Marathon time this past October!

I can't say I wasn't feeling it when I got home. Very stiff. So I did some stretching, got a shower, and then we headed out to do some errands and then wandered around antiquing. Such a nice day.

Dinner is in the oven now, roast beef, roasted veggies, and a special "Valentine's Day" cake. Time to light the fire and relax for the evening.

7 comments:

  1. you ROCKSTAR!!!!

    Do you think you will run AC again this year?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jen! Not sure about A.C. yet. Goal is full mary this year.

      Delete
    2. YOU GO GIRL!!!

      AC has a full marathon option! ;)

      Delete
  2. CONGRATS on the new PR, lady! That's great news. Our Sunday morning run turned into WAY more than what the schedule called for. I love it when all the stars align. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Heather. Love the feeling when I challenge myself to do something, and then I DO IT!

      Delete
  3. Wow, congratulations. That's no small feat. I admire your determination.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I am excited to make that salad you posted about. Forgot to get the little onions and I'm out of capers and garlic. What! Oh, no! Guess it's one more trip to the store tomorrow. :)

      Delete