I was all ready yesterday, 5 days since my orientation, to FINALLY get started yesterday with the weight machines and strength training. Blocked the time out, my "me time", in my schedule, got my morning work done, had a light lunch and headed to the gym to "do it"! Pulled into the parking lot, grabbed my gear, and headed in.....only to realize when I walked in the door that I forgot my chart, the chart that the trainer filled out with me last week that tells me the proper way to set up each machines and how many reps to do.
Arghhh!!! Really? No way I can do those machines without that. I don't want to set the machines at the wrong setting, risk getting hurt. I felt defeated. Slumped my shoulders, lowered my head and walked back to the car, ready to head home. Didn't have time to go home, get the chart, and come back. Hadn't allowed for the extra time in my day for that.
But wait --- light bulb goes on --- what am I thinking? I'm here. I'm at the gym, a place filled with equipment. Yes, I had today scheduled for strength training, but my schedule is flexible. Just flip it! Do a workout on the elliptical today and then do your strength training tomorrow! Don't use this as an excuse to not get some exercise in!
So that's exactly what I did. Now today is my strength training day. I've made an extra copy of the chart, will keep one in my gym bag and one in the box at the gym.
A friend of mine shared a link for an article from Weight Watchers about exercises you can do right in your chair at your desk or in front of the tv. Funny, a few of them I already do "occasionally". Will try to do that more often.
I was tagged by Heather at "Will Run for Coffee" with one of those "11 random things" blog posts. I will try to do that post later today. So watch out, be careful, or you might read a note from me saying "tag, you're it"!
Tuesday, January 31, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
GET IT REEN!!!!
ReplyDeleteI am proud of you....it would have been SO EASY to turn around and just bail on the gym but you didn't!!
I hope you are as proud of you as I am!!!
Thanks, and yes, I am. Just got back from the gym, finally having completed my first official strength training workout, levels 1 and 2 on the machines. Next week, I'll add level 3.
DeleteWould you share the TV/chair exercise link? I'm looking for some exercises like that to get my dad started on getting more active!
ReplyDeleteI can try, oh_mg, but I don't know if I can. It's an article on the Weight Watchers website, but you may need eTools to read it. I'll check it out.
DeleteHere's the link. Let me know if you can view it.
Deletehttp://www.weightwatchers.com/util/art/index_art.aspx?tabnum=4&art_id=14101&sc=3039&cid=sm_fb
Way to improvise and not make excuses! Very inspirational!
ReplyDelete