So I decided to challenge myself again. The very first time I ran, I had challenged myself to run a mile, and I did do it....okay, I stopped halfway so I could breath, but I did complete the mile.
Since then, I've continued to run at least twice a week and have tried to add a little distance every week. Well, this morning I decided it was time for a new challenge. Let's shoot for TWO and....I DID IT! Wow. I'm so surprised that I'm doing this. And I know could have gone a little further, but I figure I'm going to keep the same program, add a little distance each week. And when tracking my activity for the run, I was figuring I was probably going only about a 10 minute mile, but husband clocked it for me today and it was 16 minutes 7 seconds, so basically, an 8 minute mile.
I don't think that's too shabby for a 40-some year old woman who's never ever been a runner! And it's something I'll continue to build on.
You know, it's amazing the decisions you make in life. Five years ago, I could have said oh, it's going to take me five years to get this weight off; well, forget it. But my Weight Watchers leader said something at a meeting one time that has just stuck with me. Time (five years in my case) is going to pass. We can't control that. We are going to get older. So do you want to get there being right where you are right now or maybe even heavier, or do you want to get there and be a different person, a healthier person, a more energetic person, a physically fit person. No matter how long it takes, just take the steps, one at a time, to go where you want to go. Even if you don't make it as far as you want or as fast as you want, you've started the journey and are that much further than you would have been had you not taken that first step.
This has always stuck with me, and I am so glad that I made the decision that I did. My entire world is changing around me. I am truly a new person with new interests and new attitudes and even if I am 40-something, I have the whole rest of my life ahead of me and can't wait to see what's next!
Wednesday, May 6, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Yay for us 40 somethings on a mission!!! Hey, you know that 40 is the NEW 20, right!! Well, at least since I turned 40, I've been telling everyone that ;)
ReplyDeleteKeep on keeping on - you're doing great!
Can 36 be the new 20, too? If so, then I'm there.
ReplyDeleteReen, good for you and your running!!! I recently started running, and it shocked the hell out of me that I could do it. Who knew. I'm going out on another big (for me in my book) wlak/run this evening. Wish me luck! You give me hope. :)